Saturday, February 18, 2012

The End is (Like) a Beginning

Our last weekend in the feria had a strong feeling of return for me. As with our first weekend, I started out in El Monte, with the lettuces, leeks, green onions, and cilantro. As then, I woke incredibly early to be ready to work by 5:45 in the morning. As then, there were crowds of people, many of them with questions, and a system for selling vegetables that is very different from the one I know at OFC.

In many ways, this weekend was a return for me, but exactly because of its similarity, I was able to notice some huge changes that have been in process during my time here.
   
      1. It was easy to get out of bed, both Friday and Saturday morning at 4:30. Friday night, I had no problem going to sleep by 9:00. The rhythms of Cooperative life and the fact that people tend to stay in at night have become more and more natural for me. So much so that when I woke up at 7:45 on a non-feria day this week, I caught myself thinking holy crap is it ever late!


      2. Instead of wanting to hide behind piles of lettuce and put my head down to work, I got to be fully present with shoppers and co-workers this weekend, greeting people, sharing ideas for food preparation, directing them to other parts of the feria as needed. Partly, this is because my Spanish has improved, but it is also because I'm so much more comfortable with the the place in general. After several weeks of following other people's example, I know, more or less, what's expected of me in areas like El Monte. I am even beginning to develop some of my own opinions about how I like the work to be done--I prefer, for example, to clean beneath the vegetables before stocking new ones, and keep the displays trim and tidy to avoid too much breakage and loss as people search for just the right bunch of cebollin.Don't get me wrong, I still have to ask people to repeat themselves often, and there are times I am still totally lost, but for the most part, with a little patience on the part of my conversation partner, I can figure out what's going on.


     3. Not only have we learned an amazing amount while working here, as I prepare to leave next Wednesday, I have been thinking a lot about the friends I'm going to miss. The people of Cecosesola are so warm, so dedicated, I feel truly honored to have spent this time with them. And I am so looking forward to sharing our Co-op and the place with live with them, through the visit of Ricardo, Jesus, Sneida and Javier. Not to mention sharing my amazing co-workers at OFC with them and vice versa. I have actually been daydreaming  (and Ale and I have been talking a lot) about presentations in collective meetings about Cecosesola. That's how inspired/ nerdy we are.

 The days are counting down to my departure, but you can expect a few more blog posts before I fly out on Wednesday. (From Barquisimeto to Caracas...then I'll be spending the night in the airport and leaving in the morning, so wish me good flourescently-lit dreams). First, Ale will be posting soon about Senarre and confianza, and I'd like to do a short interview and photo shoot with each of the companeros who will be visiting in May before I leave.

More photos tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment